Since travelling isn’t an option right now and we’re finding ourselves reminiscing on past holidays – we wanted to create a series that still keeps them in your calendar, staycation style. Who said you couldn’t bring a piece of your favourite city to your home? Not us…
This week you’ve got the chance to visit Rome in a day, we know you might think it’s a lot but trust us, stay with us and we promise it’ll be worth it:
- Start by clearing your diary and deciding a date. How about making it a surprise for somebody special.
- It’s time to get in the mood. You want to wake up feeling like you’re in the middle of Italy. Here are two playlist suggestions to blast through the house:
3. Tuck into traditional Italian breakfast. Now we know food is sparse, so we’ve picked 4 items that you’ll be able to make or take from your cupboards. Washed down with a coffee of your choice, you’ll be glad to have had a good caffeine fix when you see what’s coming up next!
-Nutella on bread
-Cookies and milk (you’re on holiday!)
-A bowl of fresh fruit
4. Fueled up, you’re ready to take on the sites. You simply can’t go to Rome without visiting the famous monuments, quiet narrow streets, fountains and piazzas. Feel the spirit of the city in 4k on this virtual tour.
5. After your two-hour walking tour, we can rest assured that you’ve worked up an appetite… Are we right? Good, because we’ve got a no-nonsense, authentic recipe for you to try. A simple sauce you can throw on your favourite pasta type. All you’ll need is extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes and some fresh basil (if you have any).
-heat the oil over medium heat, add the garlic cloves and cook until they smell amazing, add the cherry tomatoes and cook slightly just enough to warm them up
-Toss with pasta and a little cooking water, throw in the basil and top with whatever cheese you’ve got left in the fridge. Bellissimo!
6. Now it’s time to wind down from your food coma and binge on a few programmes covering all things Italian architecture, food, history and much more. Here are 5 we recommend on Netflix