Ambassador Faruk Akbas

Travel Photographer

The remote Kayakoy ghost town on Turkey’s southwest coast is an unusual place to call home, but for renowned travel photographer Faruk this beautiful corner of the world serves to inspire his work.

Behind the lens

Faruk’s love of his native Turkey is central to his work, and his career as a photographer has allowed him to travel not just within Turkey but also across the globe, capturing the lives and smiles of the people he meets and telling their stories
in images and films.

His flair and charisma have led Faruk to develop a highly regarded reputation, with numerous awards under his belt, from institutions as varied as the British Council and the Human Rights Society.

Who is Faruk Akbas?
Faruk Akbas is a photographer and a videographer

Where do you live?
I live in the Aegean coast of Turkey, Fethiye.

What do you do?
For the moment I am preparing a visual editing for a travel magazine and writing a book on photography.

How long have you been doing this?
I have been a photographer for 25 years and I have been doing the visual editing for 8 years.

Where’s your favourite place to work?
India is my favourite place to work.

What is the best country you’ve ever visited and why?
India for sure, because it is the most colorful, most lively and the most traditional country, which is really important in my profession.

What gets you out of bed in the morning?
First thing is the weather condition. If it is a foggy weather nobody can hold me at home.

When are you happiest?
I am always happy.

What makes you angry?
Taking life very serious.

What makes you happy?
A new Turkish government.

Do you have any regrets?
Wish I had built my house facing north instead of south.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Past passed, future is unknown so what is left to us is only today.

What are your extravagances?
Travelling to different and unique places.

Who do you admire?
Ataturk – founder of Turkish Republic, Castro from Cuba.

What’s the most important thing in your life?
Ahu, my wife.

What would you never throw away?
Food, bread and water.

What’s your greatest fear?
As I travel a lot, I always get panic in forgetting my equipment behind.

What was your lucky escape?
While I was photo shooting in north Pakistan, I was very lucky to run away from armed robbery on the road.

What is your dream meal?
All the meal on the Raki – traditional Turkish alcohol drink, known also as lion’s milk – table of my father in law.

What is your favourite piece of kit (hardware or clothing)?
Outdoor outfits and light equipment.

If you could only pack 5 items for a trip, what would they be?
My camera, knife, light equipment, altimeter, first aid kit.

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learnt?
Being patient.

If you could have dinner with three famous people (dead or alive) who would they be?
Robert Capa, Che Quevera, Raj Kapoor.

What saying do you use too much?
Tamam mi ? Is it OK ?

What was the last magazine you read?
National Geographic.

What music are you listening to at the moment?
Charles & Eddie- Duophonic- Life is a beautiful thing

What are your weaknesses?
Physical inabilities like carrying heavy equipment to the places hard to reach in nature.

What does the future hold for you?
Unknown.

What does the future hold for your chosen industry?
New technology that will follow the digital world.

What’s your favourite piece of Craghoppers clothing?
Shirts and pants, as they are in harmony with the city also the wild nature, which do not need any ironing

Ambassadors Gallery

Faruk Akbas Faruk Akbas

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Be cool! No matter which kind of a photographer you are, first of all, you are a photographer and the purpose of your trip is clear. Forget everything, just focus on your business, in short, light and composition! Read more about our ambassador here.

Read More...
Posted in Craghoppers Posts | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Keep the range wide! Widen your photo portfolio by including the venues. This diversity will enrich your narration while contributing to your knowledge. Architectural details, colourful walls, pictures, lines, shapes and texts give you information about the region. During in-vehicle journeys, you can do it from where you […]

Read More...
Posted in Craghoppers Posts | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Monday Motivation

Practical Suggestions for Travelling Photographers – Faruk Akbas Placing the image at the golden ratio. Divide the image into three sections both horizontally and vertically in your mind.  Place your main subject at the intersection centre of one of these sections. Avoid putting your subject and the horizon line in the middle. The middle of your […]

Read More...
Posted in Craghoppers Posts | Tagged , , | Leave a comment