Craghoppers Blog

Category: Blog Customer Posts

Presentation-CraghoppersSS20_CapeVerde_day1_706

What Are The Benefits Of Eating Local Food?

While we’re all at home, it’s time to rethink our consumer habits. So whether you’re trying to be more healthy with your food choices or you’re making an effort to reduce your carbon footprint, the benefits of eating local food over imported foods can’t be ignored. So if that’s the case, why should we eat local food? The main reason is the positive impact on the environment, local economy and…

Traversing the Transylvanian Alps

Close encounters with mountain bears, emergency snow holes and permanent sub-zero temperatures; these are just a few of the things involved in a crossing of the Transylvanian Alps in winter. Throughout this blog post, David love (a mountaineer, Expedition Leader, and Survival Instructor at the Bear Grylls Survival Academy) recounts his journey through the Transylvanian Alps.   Preparing for the Expedition Never heard of the Transylvanian Alps? Well, neither had I…

Exploring Iceland: 1 Van, 1100 Miles.

Arriving in Iceland After landing and picking up the van we headed for the oldest lighthouse on the island. A short detour to Hafnir and The Bridge Between Continents we finally found Reykjanesviti, the oldest lighthouse first built in 1878. The landscape was so barren with clouds of steam from the geothermal activity in the area, it was as if we’d landed on another planet! Day 2  A small van,…

Venturing into the jungle with the Aberdeen Guyana Expedition

After 2 years of set backs, planning and perseverance, we set out on the expedition of a lifetime When I first made our pitch to the University of Aberdeen, the response was predictably sceptical. The cunning plan was to devise, finance and execute a month long expedition to South America. It was going to be two years in the planning but I made a convincing case that the research would…

The Jura Fell Race by Claire Aspinall

The Jura Fell Race After completing the Jura Fell Race on the 28th May 2016 in a time of 4 hours and 59 minutes, people have asked me whether or not I would attempt the race again. My initial thoughts are the terrain was horrendous, I narrowly missed being hit by head sized boulders, I am black and blue with bruises from the scree and I ripped my shorts. I…

Crag Hopping with Craghoppers

Hopping between crags in gorgeous sunshine is a great way to rid oneself of any winter blues Mike, David and I ventured to Newstones, a small crag north of the Roaches. Newstones is a boulder’s playground where there are plenty of problems for a range of abilities. The views from the crag across to Shining Tor, the Roaches and Ramshaw Rocks serve as tonic for the soul. After warming up…

Trigger Training Commences

Guilty of avoiding training when the rain and wind is trying to batter down my front door, I have entered the famous Trigger race to keep focused on my running throughout the winter months. The race is organised by Nicky Spinks, a legend in her own right. She holds the women's records for each of the three major fell running challenges in the UK, the Bob Graham Round, the Ramsay Round and the…

Kendal 10K Trail Race

Waking up to single figure temperatures and wall to wall sunshine, I knew it was going to be perfect running conditions. However, I still had to go through the usual pre-race ritual of deciding what to wear. Having gone through the options in my head, I crawled out of my sleeping bag, opened the door and stuck my nose out of the van. As I took a breath and the…

Drifting Down The Vindel River

The most suitable word for this year’s expedition was definitely “challenging” In the previous two years, our palette-built recycled raft (named “Melissa”) had mostly drifted and paddled fairly lazily down the Vindel river in the North of Sweden, with only the occasional big rapid or day of heavy rain to push us outside of our comfort zones. This year was quite something else. The water in the river was around…

Craghoppers put to the test: The Inca Trail

After 10 years of dreaming of trekking the Inca Trail and seeing Machu Picchu, It had finally come around! Some friends and I decided to plan and allow our adolescent conversations become reality. We had booked the trip a year in advance which gave us plenty of time to prepare what we will need for the four day hike. Higher up in the mountains, the climate can change very quickly.…